Thursday, August 03, 2006

Dead Sea Scrolls

From Michal:

They rock. Very much so. They're in the Israel Museum, in a special building made for their preservation and security - and they are AMAZING. Written in old Hebrew, they're torn-up parchment with letters that I can only half-identify. We couldn't take any pictures in the museum, so you'll all have to come and see them for yourselves. But talk about an intriguing experience - I'm very interested in learning more about the Essenes and Qumran now.

We also spent two hours at this huge model of Jerusalem at the time of the second temple, recreated through archeological and literary sources. There were different neighborhoods were the Pharisees and Saducees lived, you could see the city walls at various points in time, look at Herod's palace, and really get a sense of how big the Temple was. Our tour guide is from HUC, and was phenomenal. (He's the one who's been taking us on all of our field trips). We saw a bunch of other archeological finds at the museum, too, but the model and the Scrolls took the cake.

In other news, ulpan's going better - I'm going to meet with my teacher and the head of the Hebrew program on Sunday to discuss getting a tutor. I realized I don't know my Hebrew roots - that would be helpful! J just got his Hebrew book for his ulpan, so I'm looking forward to learning his grammar with him.

Oh, and for the record, the schwarma on the corner of Agrippas and King George St. is most excellent... I can never go back to plain falafel again. :)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Must you make israel sound so appealing? You make it sound almost worth going back! AHH!!! Shwarma...mmmmm

August 06, 2006 10:09 AM  
Blogger Michal said...

I'm sooo adicted to Shwarma. I think I could have it almost every day. I say that mostly because I'm lucky to get it once a week. The bread here is soooo good. I think the swarma and Iraqi bread will be missed the most when I return to the states.

August 13, 2006 1:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home