Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Please fund the library (name change thanks to Sheryl... you're right, it's nicer)

I never realized before what a joy it is to have access to a good library. The one at HUC in Jerusalem is nice, not huge, but not too shabby... or so I thought until this week. There are 60-odd students in the program, and we're all taking the same classes, and writing the same papers. Not a problem until now... when there's been a run on any and all books relating to liturgy, Israeli history and Zionism, and Reform Judaism.

So today, I go to the library figuring I can deal with the lack of resources... I just need something on "Israel in the 1930s"... no big deal, right? Wrong. The books I needed were D4 129 on up. I go to the stacks... and THERE IS NOTHING THERE. Literally. The spots were empty from around D4 127 to D4 130. There were two books laying on their sides looking forlorn. Apparently everyone else did their research earlier than I, and they wiped out the whole shelf of early Israel history!! I will never take a good library for granted again.

At least I can take solace in the fact that next year, Cincinnati's library is known for being one of the best Jewish libraries in the world, especially in old and rare books. And if they don't have what I need, they can *order* it in from somewhere else! Sheryl, I hate to complain, but seriously, the Jerusalem library needs some help!


While we're on the topic of books, I'm currently reading Wicked as my studying procrastination tool. It's absolutely brilliant - thank you Mom for sending it. :)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sucks not being able to rely on a richly stocked library. Does the internet help?
Savta

December 13, 2006 11:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is truly lame. One good thing about Utah is that the public library system is rockin'. Much better than the de-centralized local Cali-sytems.

December 15, 2006 11:54 AM  
Blogger Michal said...

Good for Utah! I'm glad that *something* is superior to Cali, in that sense. Even if you dont' like the people, the books make up for it. :)

And Savta, yes, the internet most definitely does help, in terms of finding information. It just doesn't look as good on a bibliography!

December 16, 2006 6:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michal, I certainly understand the frustration - but did you have to start out with "_curse _the library?" How 'bout "Fund the library!" or "Haven't the faculty heard of Reserve lists!" Is there a good journal collection there? or access to online full-text articles? I hope you were able to find some good resources.
sheryl

December 18, 2006 9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home