Monday, February 19, 2007

Adar is here!

Adar, for those of you uninformed about the Hebrew calendar (which would have included me until this year), is the month of celebration. Today's service included Purim melodies, and when I went up the stairs I saw the kindergarten class ahead of me (from the preschool attached to HUC). They were adorable, all decked out in costumes with funny hats and painted faces! For the story of Purim, go here. It's actually one of my favorite holidays - I was born on it in 1981!

Also about this morning - I had to fight my way to school by avoiding the multiple news vans and camera crews. The sidewalk was PACKED. Condaleeza Rice is here again, and fortunately or unfortunately, HUC is right next door to the King David Citadel Hotel where she stays. There's nothing like stumbling over camera wire and seeing nine or ten illegally parked vans to perk you up in the morning. :)

And now off to class...

3 Comments:

Blogger Sheryl said...

I'm happy!
One thing I miss about Cincinnati at this time of year (and it sure ain't the weather) is the Purim parade by the JELC (the daycare) kids. The kids all dress up and they take them on a tour of campus. My kids both went through JELC too - I've got a few pics of them all dressed up with their little buddies. I remember one year when Ruthie must have been about 3 and she dressed up as a tiger. Everyone kept telling her how cute she was and she got really upset and insisted she was a "scary tiger!" Poor kid - she was just too darn adorable to scare anyone. Sheryl

February 20, 2007 11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of Adar - This month is my favorite month of the school year b/c we do all kinds of fun activities in school! Tomorrow we're having Twin day, and at lunch time someone always starts singing "Chodesh Sameach" (I think its a chassidic song) but its so much fun! I hope you have a joyous and lucky Adar!!!!!

February 22, 2007 4:41 PM  
Blogger Michal said...

Sheryl, oh how sweet! I can just imagine Ruthie in her costume. Of course now you realize I want to see a picture. :)

And Hannah - the many hidden benefits of going to a Jewish school! My brother and sister always liked Adar in school, too. I hope yours is fun.. I want to hear all about it!

February 25, 2007 8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home