Monday, September 11, 2006

Tony Blair and the Shabbat Bride - by Michal

Fun thing that happened this morning: I'm on my way to school, about to step off the curb to cross the street when I hear a huge *HONK*. I take another step, and another *HONK* and I see a police car parked on the corner with the officer shouting at *me.* No sooner do I step back onto the curb then four cop cars come with their lights flashing, then three limos, and at least three more cop cars. The entourage passes by and the officer motions that I can cross the street, then speeds off behind the other cars. I ask a passerby, in Hebrew, who WAS that?? (cuz Olmert isn't *that* special) and I find out it's Tony Blair. So hey, I was close to power! I was even closer than when I went to Clinton's 1st inauguration… but at least then I could see a dot that was Clinton's face, whereas here I only saw tinted glass.

In other news, last Friday we went to Kibbutz Gezer/Pinat Shorashim for Shabbat services. I loved the services, which were like American Reform but all in Hebrew. It was outside, in nature, very beautiful. At the end of Kabbalat Shabbat (welcoming Shabbat) all the kids in the congregation ran up to the bima wearing the traditional crowns of the Shabbat bride: olive branches, myrtle, and a rose. Here's a shot of Jonathan and I, me with the aforementioned wreath.


Tomorrow at 7am we're off to a 3-day tiyul, field trip, to the Golan and Galilee. It looks like it'll be fun, with kayaking, hiking, wine-tasting, meeting with Israeli Reform rabbis, etc. We'll fill you all in when we get home on Friday. Simcha is being cared for by Joe, Nicole’s boyfriend, who lives in the apartment above us. He’s becoming a fat, spoiled cat… not like he could be anything else, living with us. J

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

AHa...my cat's getting kinda big too! OY!

September 22, 2006 4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanna see pictures!

September 23, 2006 8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home