Friday, November 10, 2006

Museums galore

To quote Mara, "Israelis love interactive museums." Since coming to Israel, I have now been to the following museums:

Hapalmach Museum, about resistance fighters in 1948
Diaspora Museum, about Jews in, you guessed it, the Diaspora
Israel Museum, which has the Dead Sea Scrolls and other wonderful archeology
Herzl Museum, about Theodore Herzl who created the concept of the modern Jewish state
Yad V'Shem, the premiere Holocaust museum in the world

And Wednesday, we went to the Menachim Begin Heritage Center, about the first Likud (right-wing party) leader in Israel. He was the one who signed the peace treaty with Egypt and got us into Lebanon in the 80s, among other things.

What's interesting is that almost every museum has a story to it. Most of them have headphones you put on so you listen to a narrative as you walk through a predetermined path, so people go through the museum in groups with a guide, and go from room to room to watch the video or look at stuff on the walls. Yad V'Shem was the notable exception to this, but still - even the museum culture is different in Israel than the States, or at least CA. There we're more old-school.

In other news, I heard a marvelous talk by Etger Keret, a leading Israeli author, and I participated in a program where we met Israeli officers in the army, and chatted over lunch. I was, of course, older than all of the officers.

Hmm... this really isn't my most fascinating blog entry. As I told Becca last night, I do day-to-day things, but nothing lately stands out like it did when we got here this summer. Oh well. That's life in general, I guess.

And Hannah, good luck tomorrow - I know your Bat Mitzvah will be beautiful.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, I posted a comment before but my computer froze...

The meeting with Israeli soldiers sounds interesting. What is the mission of the group? Was there a specific agenda for your lunch? Did you have any interesting conversations?

November 10, 2006 2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, I feel so honored being mentioned in your blog lol!

-Hannah

November 10, 2006 3:25 PM  
Blogger Sheryl said...

I had just been reading Etgar Kerets postings on Nextbook.org We also have his graphic (well, I was about to say novel, but its really...) short story collection.

November 14, 2006 4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home