Saturday, December 23, 2006

Antonio's here!

After visiting my Yiddish grandmother in the old folk's home this morning, Abba drove myself, Jonathan, and Doron to the airport to pick up Antonio. His flight was delayed two hours, he'd been traveling forever - and he still had a scary amount of energy! We greeted him with a sufganya (singular of sufganyot) at the airport, then we all came to Jerusalem.

Antonio came loaded for bear - gotta love my mother, she sent us Campbell's stews, Butterfingers and Hot Tamales, a ton of books, tea that we can't get here, and lots of other good stuff (like People's Sexiest Man Alive issue, hee). Here's all the loot:



Plus, the very best was a present from Jonathan - a beautiful new camera! It's absolutely teensy, and is simple enough that I can point and click, and complicated enough that Jonathan can still fiddle with it. It doesn't even a cord to connect to the computer to download the pictures, the memory card just slides out and can slide directly into my laptop! I'm jazzed, so expect lots more picture posts.

After unpacking, Doron and my dad went home, and we took Antonio out for a tour of the Old City. We went to the Arab shuk, the Western Wall, and wandered around the residential areas a bit. Then we meadered our way back to newer Jerusalem for dinner. Antonio and I are in the Arab shuk here. I think he's a bit overwhelmed!



Finally, over Hanukkah Jonathan got a beautiful Havdallah set to observe the end of Shabbat, and the separation between the sacred and the mundane. It's really beautiful, and matches our Kiddish cup set from Savta perfectly. We were all ready to observe Havdallah, had it all set up... and I could not, for the life of me, remember the melody! So we called my mom at 8am her time, she got us started, and we went on from there. I think it's the first time I've ever said the Havdallah prayers when I wasn't in a big Jewish group. Below is the spicebox (so that the beautiful spice smell will entice the extra Shabbat soul to return to heaven), the wine, the six-wick Havdallah candle, and the prayerbook that we use that we brought from home. Antonio's knees are included as an added bonus.



Tomorrow we're off to see the Dead Sea Scrolls. It's really fun to go touring - Becca, I can't wait til *you* get here!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks like you're having fun! I can't wait until I'm there. I am looking forward to talking to you all soon.

December 23, 2006 8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home