Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The joy of Gregory Maguire

I'm now a big fan of his books. After finishing Wicked, I had read Son of a Witch, the sequel (which I didn't like nearly as much). But he just redeemed himself with Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister, which I think is his best by far. It's the story of Cinderella but set in 17th century Holland. While Wicked and Son are planted firmly in the fantasy land of Oz, Confessions is part historical novel/part fantasy/part suspense with a a dash of Isabella Allende-type magical realism thrown in for kicks. The historicity mixed with mythology was beautifully done; I highly recommend it for anyone who liked either Wicked or Girl with a Pearl Earring.

5 Comments:

Blogger Michal said...

When you come over tonight, we'll take pictures of you with the cats. Then we'll post them together. :)

January 24, 2007 7:06 AM  
Blogger Michal said...

Okay, and I just got questioned on it - yes, Mara's comment does make sense. Got to her blog (in the Links section) and you'll get it. :)

January 24, 2007 1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I posted my comments to this discussion on the Cat Picture entry. That picture of Mara and Simcha is sensational! Kudos to the photographer, even considering that his subjects were outstanding.
yer Savta

January 25, 2007 3:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In that case I will buy "Confessions" for my plane ride. I loved "Wicked," but am not jazzed about "Son of a Witch." I want more Elphaba!

January 25, 2007 7:02 AM  
Blogger Michal said...

Nah, get another book for the ride over, and take my copy for the way home. You're welcome to it!

January 25, 2007 11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home