Friday, January 12, 2007

Only in Israel!

I just had the most marvelous experience of the week - in the grocery store checkout line! I was third in line, and the person who was first was arguing strenuously with the woman at the checkout counter. The man immediately in front of me was American-born, and we got into a conversation. This is normal (for me at least). What *isn't* normal is what we talked about - after the first few minutes of small talk, we got onto the divisive nature of religious denominations, the idea of God throughout history, my and Jonathan's plans for kids, his daughter's relationship with a much older man, and more. After 15 minutes both of us had paid for our groceries, so naturally, we exchanged emails, and we're going over to their house next week for Shabbat dinner. I love Israel! Small talk is kept to a minimum, Judaism bonds everyone, and friendship can be found anywhere.

5 Comments:

Blogger hollydlr said...

Glad Israel keeps surprising you in such good ways. For as much as you worried, the new semester seems to already be more stimulating that you imagined, huh?

BTW, my grandpa had a stroke last night, so needs prayers. He'll probably pull through but has lost speech & has right side weakness. Should recoup some with therapy, but it'll be a while. :(

January 12, 2007 12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holly, my thoughts and prayers are with your grandfather for a complete and speedy recovery.

Michal, I discovered the openness of people throughout my 30 years in Israel. I've made friends on the bus and in the most unexpected places. It's a remarkable feeling of being connected, that we're all Jewish. And I'm talking about Yemenites, Greeks, and Russians too -- How can you not love Israel?
yer Savta

January 13, 2007 6:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holly, best wishes to you and your grandfather.

Michal, your story reminds me of an Israeli joke I heard years ago. A young man was standing at a bus stop. He asked an older man there what time it was. The man said, "I'm not going to tell you the time. If I tell you the time, we'll start talking. I'll invite you home for dinner. You'll meet my wife and daughter. Perhaps you and my daughter will hit if off and date. And I don't want my daughter marrying someone who can't afford a watch!"
sheryl

January 16, 2007 4:03 PM  
Blogger Michal said...

Sheryl, LOL!!! I've told that story to two people so far, that's the best joke!

January 21, 2007 1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sheryl that's priceless!

Michal, when you finally made the decision to become a rabbi, do you really wonder why most people who know you said "about time"?

January 24, 2007 8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home