Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Picture post

This afternoon in my Islam class I was shamed by Mara and Jessica for not updating enough. So I dedicate this blog to them.

First – the time with Becca was amazing. She’s going to write a guest blog all about her experiences and impressions, so I won’t tell you much more besides the fact that the two weeks were a blur. We saw literally almost all of Israel (with the exception of the far south). We ate TONS of food. And we watched enough Star Trek to write our own Nitpicker’s Guide. Visiting my grandmother was wonderful, as always, and we discovered something completely, utterly random – my grandmother and I always play Rummikub, and apparently it’s Becca’s family’s game, too! Suffice it to say we brought it back to Jerusalem with us and played a good few games before she left.

And now what you’ve all been waiting for – pictures!



Becca at the Western Wall.




Buying olives in the shuk.




Creating a tallit (prayer shawl) in Tzfat.




Me hiking in the Golan Heights.




Becca floating in the Dead Sea.




The final Rummikub board!


Click me for many more pictures.


Going back to school has been hard since she left. Conjugating verbs just aren’t nearly as interesting when you’ve spent the whole weekend spelunking in ancient caves and floating in the Dead Sea. Tomorrow will be a drastic change from that, however – HUC is taking us on another tiyul, this time to the south. We’ll stay at a kibbutz and spend most of the days hiking, according to the schedule. Jonathan is staying home (hiking in 80 degree heat isn’t his thing), so I’ll be rooming with Melanie from tomorrow night til Saturday. Thank goodness HUC heard our pleas – we only get back at 11pm Saturday, so they moved our first class to 10am on Sunday!

I'll end with a fun picture of cute boys.... Jonathan and Joe got their haircuts a week apart. The blue shirts were a coincidence, but when we saw them today Nicole and I both cracked up.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The pictures were AWESOME!!! Becca! I hardly recognize you....your hair is so long and you're all growed up!!

Great to seeing you all having such a great time together.

Love,
Mom

February 20, 2007 10:48 PM  
Blogger Sheryl said...

The grand tour to the country just sounds fantastic! I love the pics, especially the tallit loom.
What kibbuts are you going to be visiting? I stayed at Yahel for a couple months a long time ago. I worked picking grapes and peppers and on the onion sorting/packing machine.
sheryl

February 21, 2007 9:39 AM  
Blogger Michal said...

Mom and Sheryl, it was really wonderful, I'm so glad you liked the pictures! And Sheryl, how funny that you were at Yahel- that's exactly where we were! (Though I guess it makes sense... there are only 2 Reform kibbutzim after all). I hope to update with pics later tonight.

February 25, 2007 8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home