Sunday, October 01, 2006

Simcha 1, Feather Duster 0 - by Jonathan

I returned home with some cleaning items, among which was a feather duster. I had placed the newly purchased items in their appropriate places and then went to use the bathroom. I usually leave the bathroom door open when I use it alone in the house because, like just about everything else in Israel, it is really just too small for me to use comfortably. I was sitting there, skimming over an issue of Newsweek when I heard a tussle, then a clank, then a flop. I rolled my eyes and tried *not* to think what my apparently crack-induced cat was up to. Focusing really really hard, I began to read the Newsweek perspective of what the future face of the Hezbollah will be.

This turned out to be futile as I began to hear the sound of a wooden object being dragged along the floor, drawing nearer as I gazed perplexed at the empty hallway and entry hall. Scrape, scrape, scrape… it came nearer with each scrape. Not unlike some horror film I felt paralyzed in my spot, unable to do anything except let the sound emerge from around the corner. Scrape-scrape, scraaaaaaaaaaape… then the image appeared. There was my mighty hunter Simcha, with a freshly killed wood-handled feather duster; it was in fact larger than him. The pride in his eyes was quite apparent. His tail stood high in the air in triumph. He had conquered the feather duster and was parading it around the house so that all could see his hunting prowess.

I was completely unprepared for this image. Instead of being angry at this defiling of my sparkling new feather duster, I became overwhelmed with the urge to let loose a large belly laugh. Here was my mighty hunter, thinking he was doing our family a great service by bringing down this odd specimen of flightless fowl.

I tried in vain to hide the duster from my miniature lion for the next several days. Each time my efforts were thwarted and a toll of dismembered feathers was to be found next to the duster carcass. It got to the point to where I no longer wanted the sadly abused thing, and conceded that I had bought Simcha a very pricy cat toy.

I had hoped that the conquest would sate his appetite, but I was foolishly optimistic. So far he has captured and eaten 3 moths and 7 flies, gnawed on 3 shoes, mutilated 4 “balls with feathers,” and unraveled 1 ball of twine. Oh, and today he shattered on Ikea brand glass cup. I don’t know who the crack supplier for my cat is, but I’m calling the DEA after the Holidays.

(another sacrifice to the little beasty)

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's adorable! Lol. My cat is like that too, just not nearly as destructive. She's so full of energy at the wierdest times. She'll be sitting down, and then all of a sudden wrestle with the leg of my chair. LMAO!

October 01, 2006 10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! What a ferocious beast. One of my grandpa's cats is still terrified of me. The other one is merely disinterested in my existence.

October 01, 2006 9:03 PM  
Blogger Sheryl said...

LOL! I'm really impressed at your cleaning efforts - a feather duster, wow. I don't remember ever having one in the house. The latest battle on the home front is over flip flops. Pandora took a few nibbles off Caleb's and a few big chunks off of Ruthie's favorite pink pair. Knowing where those flip-flops have been, they're not what I would have chosen to snack on, but I guess there's no accounting for taste ;-)

October 03, 2006 11:15 AM  
Blogger Michal said...

Thanks Joe...

We are trying to find more "creative" outlets for Simcha. Right now he owns about 20 balls. He keeps loosing them so we figure if the apartment is saturated enough, he can't knock one under the couch without another being pushed out.

Cats will attack the oddest things. Simcha has attack my chair leg numerous times, but the most amusing was when he did a flying death leap onto my discarded pants on the floor. I'm sure Simcha would swear on the Torah that it twitched.

October 14, 2006 5:23 AM  
Blogger Michal said...

Becca...

Glad to see you reading our blogs. I love your discription of the cats. I know exactly how cats look like when they decide that they are "disinterested in your existence". LOL

What terrifies you so with your grandpa's other cat?

October 14, 2006 5:25 AM  
Blogger Michal said...

Sheryl...

Of COURSE he likes to eat your flip flops! They are the sniffiest, most salty tasty thing in the house!! Who can turn down a ripe pair of flops when they are right there on the floor ready for the taking; and they are so chewy!!!

LOL

October 14, 2006 5:27 AM  
Blogger Michal said...

One more comment from me.

Just a big THANKS for commenting. Your comments and feedback mean a lot to Michal and me. It really makes us feel connected to you all back home.

October 14, 2006 5:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home