Wednesday, January 03, 2007

What a week!

I'm a few days behind on blogging, and unfortunately, I don't have the energy to write all of it up. So in a nutshell:

On Saturday Antonio, Jonathan and I went to the Vatican headquarters in the Old City. It's gorgeous. Then we visited the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. It was extremely confusing, it's a medieval church and there were rooms and rooms added on over the years. There were a bunch of monks singing in the various chapels - one group was at the site of Jesus' crucifixion, another chanting where he'd been enbalmed, and yet another at his tomb. I'll post pictures later tonight or tomorrow.

Sunday was spelunking day. We had made reservations at the Davidson Center and their Virtual Reconstruction Model (3D model of what the Second Temple looked like) and the southern wall excavations, which are an archeologist's dream (link). We hiked and hiked in the rain, then turned down another museum to go to a cafe. We had wanted to go to the Israel Museum to see the Dead Sea Scrolls, but they were closed. Ah well, the onion soup made up for it (at least for me - Antonio may be another story!)

That night we hosted a New Year's Eve party. About 10 people showed up, in waves, so it was very small and casual and lots of fun. I met new people, like Ethan's boyfriend and friend from home, and Joe's sister and her boyfriend, and we drank lots of wine, ate lots of cheese and olives and rugalach, and blew the shofar at midnight. We played a game of Hoopla, watched half of Return of the King, and sent everyone off at 3am.

Antonio left the next morning, and we were supposed to go to Arad to see my grandmother, but there was a short in the main circuit of our apartment, and our electricity went out! By the time it was fixed it was 4pm, so we got to Arad very late. After relaxing, eating a ton of fruit salad and watching multiple Star Trek episodes (not to mention going to an amazing restaurant in Beersheva), Jonathan and I got back at 7pm tonight.

Viera from Germany, who I met on a Holocaust fellowship in 2002, visited with her boyfriend at 8pm, and after they left I made arrangements to meet with a potential HUC student tomorrow morning. Then tomorrow afternoon my brother comes to stay for a few days. And then school starts. I'm going to need a vacation from my vacation!

(P.S. To all who left voicemail messages: Netvision sucks, our Vonage still doesn't work. The goal tomorrow is to get it up and running.)

(P.P.S. Rachelle and anyone else who's interested: Antonio and I met in college in 1998, and Jonathan and I met in 2003 through a mutual friend. Email me for more details. :))

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sure do pack a lot of meat into a nutshell. How often do you two get your batteries charged so you can keep up that mad pace????? It was terrific having you here in Arad. We're still enjoying your visit!
Yer amazed Savta

January 04, 2007 9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those Star Trek episodes we watched were awesome. And wasn't the film "Bruno" (umm) different? Next time we'll do "Whale Rider."
Okay?????
Savta

January 04, 2007 4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home