Tuesday, March 13, 2007

I love birthdays

Yesterday was amazing.

I was born at 11:17am on March 12th, and every year I always check where I am at that time, sort of as a symbol of time passing and what the future year will hold. This year I was in Hebrew class, discussing (in Hebrew) if the nostalgia for the Temple and the Jerusalem of old in Psalms is the same as wishing for a true reversion to a past, or if the past is really a metaphor for a hopeful future. If where I am on the minute of my birth is a sign, and I was discussing Hebrew philosophy in Jerusalem – then next year will be great!

Instead of school ending at 5:30 like it was supposed to, my last class was cancelled. So I skipped home cheerily to open the door and find… the smell of a bakery! Jonathan made batches upon batches of chocolate chip cookies. He cut up Elite chocolate bars instead of using regular chocolate chips. Then he decorated some with frosting, like such:



We dressed up and went to dinner at an Indian restaurant, and after pigging out on chicken tikka masala and garlic naan, we promptly fell into food coma. A few hours later when we’d recovered, we watched a movie, had ice cream cake and then I opened up the package that had been tantalizing me all evening: jewelry, and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone and HP: Goblet of Fire in Hebrew! Yes, I am a geek. I love it. He knows it, it’s wonderful. And the cats even seemed especially snuggly.





3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, my beloved daughter. The moment of March 12, 1981 at 11:17am changed my life forever. What a gift you were at that moment and what a blessing you have been every moment since.

I love and cherish you.
Mom

March 14, 2007 12:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Y'know, Michal, I start celebrating your birthday on March 5th because that was the original date set for your birth...the longest week in my life was waiting until the 12th for you to arrive. And I've been gaga about you ever since. Your birthday this year in Jerusalem sounds
fan-tas-tic and I have to credit you, Jonathan, with making every "loving" fantasy come true. I bless you, my grandson.
Your Savta

March 14, 2007 11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harry Potter in Hebrew! I'm outa my mind! Rowling makes up all kinda words in English. Does the Hebrew just use them phonetically?
Or what??? I wonder if the Hebrew Potter will thrill like the English does. I know it does for Israelis!!! You have to let me know!
yer Savta

March 14, 2007 11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home