Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Back from Rome

I’m sick. I’m sure I got whatever it is I have while being squeezed like a sardine in the Vatican museum where I was breathing in the exhales of 20,000 people in a room with no open windows and only two open doors (both plugged with yet more people). Tip of the day is, “Never visit the Vatican Easter weekend”.

So some typhoid mongrel in the room gave me his phlegm filled disease. Fortunately, I was on so much adrenaline while in Rome that I didn’t care and didn’t let it slow me down much. It wasn’t until I was on the flight home that I was smacked down by the cold. It seems my ears, clogged from my congestion, decided to punish me for the change in air pressure by giving me the sensation of a metal spike being driven into my skull. Loads of fun during landing let me tell you. Thinking about it I probably infected people in the plane from all my coughing. I can only hope it was one of the family members of the bastard that gave it to me. Not that I'm bitter.

So, I’m in bed right now, angry at my maligned ear that still hasn’t decompressed from the flight and feels like someone stuck a helium balloon in it. My throat is a bit sore, but most annoying is the cough that I’m sure is going to hurl out my lung at some point. The constant expelling of green goo is no fun either. I’m sure my wife has had a grand time sleeping as the bed quakes from the hacking fits I get about every 10 minutes.

Either out of pity for me, or a desire to sleep tonight, she called the doctor. Interestingly enough, they do house calls in Israel, so he came right to my bed. Nice. Less nice was the fact he spoke no English, just Hebrew. Fortunately my brother in law, Doron, was here and acted as interpreter. He made me do uncomfortable things, like breath, while he listened with his icy cold stethoscope. After much strange gesturing and poking, and a mish mash of almost intelligible Hebrew he announced that I had bronchitis, or possibly Bacchus disease, which if I use my newly attained Latin skill is the disease of too much wine and partying. It was in Hebrew so translation was sketchy. In either case I am to stay in bed and take antibiotics. As a bonus the drugs are even free. Let's just say that I’m becoming a real fan of socialized medicine.

And before you ask, Rome and Athens was so worth it.

I’ll post more on the trip later. If I don’t die from Bacchus first.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh you poor baby!!!! See how my sympathy is oozing all over you!!!
When you get back home, you're gonna dream about the Israeli doctor that came to your house and poked you to make you well, and gave you free medicine as well. It's good that you wrote it up on your blog because later in our good old U.S.A. you'll wonder if such a wonder actually occurred!!!!
Your lovin' Savta

April 10, 2007 6:25 AM  
Blogger Mara said...

I can't wait to catch up with you guys after you're healthy! Rest up so we can catch up!

April 10, 2007 7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home