Monday, April 23, 2007

What I'll miss about Israel

This year in Israel is coming to an end and one is inevitably drawn to reflection. Was it a good year? Was it a fun year? Was it a worthwhile year? There were many things that I found anywhere from annoying (see dranage pipe leaking on my head) to horrible (my first 36 hours with no phone, no internet, no food, and nothing open). With that said, I have to be honest. This has been the best year of my entire life.

This was the first year Michal and I lived alone together (I love you Jan, but would YOU want to live with your mother-in-law?). We found that the crucible of living in a foreign land bonded us closer together. I have traveled and learned about more of the world than I have in all the other years of my life combined. I have forged my own community for the first time and it has been wonderful. This past year I have had the life and marrage I have always dreamed.

So, in a nice way of review, I am going to list the things I'm going to miss the most about Israel, and then list the things I'm looking forward most to in the good ol' US of A!

What I'll miss in Israel...
(in no particular order)

1. Pita made fresh daily.
2. Walking down to the corner market for last minute groceries.
3. Talking to Nicole and Joe through their living room window from my balcony
4. Seeing my community of friends walk down my street on any giving day.
5. A city that stops for Jewish holidays.
6. The best baklava in the world (and at a price I can afford).
7. Humus as it was meant to be made.
8. Being a part of my wife's school.
9. Having people over just to play with our cats.
10. Never worrying about violent crime.
11. Being able to talk theology and politics with anyone on the street.
12. Being expected to break the rules.
13. Knowing that the person talking to you means what they say.
14. No one ever being insulted because you want to bargain.
15. Being forced to relax on Saturday mornings.
16. Being able to fill your grocery cart for less than $100.
17. Seasonal food.
18. Living with people who love to be spontaneous.
19. Being able to visit Savta and Avraham on any given weekend.
20. Having other people tell my wife how wonderful I am.
21. Knowing everyone.
22. Being on the far side of the planet from the nearest Republican.
23. Walking down the road to see 2000 year-old ruins.
24. Being 2 hours (or less) away from Europe, Asia, or Africa.
25. Being able to wear jeans to formal occasions.


Things I am looking forward to in the US
(in no particular order)

1. Being able to buy food on Saturday.
2. Ordering pepperoni and sausage on my pizza.
3. A real BBQ cheeseburger.
4. Cheap Indian food.
5. Eating out for less than $6 a plate.
6. Vehicles that obey traffic laws.
7. Customer service.
8. Well-organized business.
9. Internet that works as you were told it would.
10. Electricity that isn't likely to blow anything out at any given moment.
11. Not having Islamic terrorists trying to blow me up (and burn my cookies).
12. Being paid more than $3 an hour.
13. Being able to read EVERYTHING.
14. Never having to say "Ot Medaberet Engleet?"
15. Someone bagging my groceries for me.
16. A dishwasher.
17. Real Mexican food.
18. Police that actually catch criminals.
19. Jamba Juice.
20. Cheap computers/electronics.
21. Toilets and beds that fit me.
22. Minute Maid Orange Juice.
23. Thrifty Ice Cream.
24. Being able to rent and play all the movies at the video store. (I hate Zone 2 and the stupid MPAA)
25. Real broadband access (Okay, I know this seems like a repeat of #9, but I can't tell you how I miss my high speed access! *sniff*)

There are more things I think I can add to these lists, but these are my top 25.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

jonathan, ten out of the 25 things on your list are food related. Yup, you're Jewish!
love you,
mom

April 23, 2007 8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Jonathan,
I read your lists and they make me smile, so why are tears streaming down my cheeks????
Your everlovin' Savta

April 23, 2007 9:37 AM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Michal pointed out the food ting too Jan. But i think that is one of the things you can only experience in a culture when you are there. Food seems more intrinsic to the land and the culture than anything else in my experience. Even if you eat at an ethnic restaurant, in another country, it is always influenced and changed by the land it is in. I think that is one of the more surprising lessons I learned. People+Land=Food. You just can’t change the equation without changing the result.

April 25, 2007 5:54 AM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

My dear sweet Savta, I just can’t describe how indelible you are to the joy I have had here in Israel. I feel that we have grown together and shared something truly intimate in this year; Israel. I understand better now, than I ever have, what you see in this place, why you live here, and why you could never leave. You have shown me its importance to you and the world, and I have shown you how it both marvels and frustrates in my eyes. Israel is a land that one never feels indifferent to, but instead develops a deep feeling that becomes more personal with every passing day within its borders. I understand now why people have struggled and even died to be on this land.

Though I’m glad to go home, my departure will surely be better sweet, and all the more hard for leaving you.

April 25, 2007 6:09 AM  
Blogger Sheryl said...

You're expecting real Mexican food in Cincinnati??!!

April 25, 2007 4:23 PM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Don't scare me like that Sheryl...you can't be seriousl about a real mex food supply in Cinci, are you?

hrmm...I think it might be a good idea to chow down on it while I'm in California before my trip out to Cinci. Just to be safe.

April 25, 2007 5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops, Jonathan! You missed the point about food being a Jewish thing. Sure, food is of interest to everyone, and of particular interest when traveling because of the surprising native forms it assumes in various cultures.

But we're not talking about food, as food. We're talking about Peoples, and the general impressions that exist about specific Peoples. For instance, in the most general terms, on what do these Peoples enjoy spending their money?

The FRENCH splurge on fine wines and champagnes.
The GERMANS splurge on goosedown comforters and feather pillows and sumptuous bedding.
The ITALIANS spend on lavishly decorated velvet draperies and wall coverings.
The JEWS put it all on the table; it's FOOD above all!!!

(It's a joke, Jonathan, with more than a kernel of truth in it!!!!)
yer Savta

April 26, 2007 12:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jonathan, I keep rereading your message to me, written above, and it expresses our feelings so well. Israel has brought us together in ways that couldn't have happened under any other circumstances. No matter how distance will separate us, Israel and your having lived here with your beloved wife (my beloved granddaughter) will be the indivisible bond joining us always.
Your loving Savta

April 26, 2007 6:43 AM  
Blogger Mara said...

Jonathan, your list really spoke to me. My favorite: being expected to break the rules. I never consciously thought about it, but you're totally right!

I'll add to my list: running into Jonathan in the library and happily having him distract me from my hebrew hw

April 26, 2007 10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home