Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Books are my personal Messiah

As a stress reliever I just finished "The Autobiography of God" by Julius Lester. By far, it's the most intriguing book I've read this year. I don't even know how to start summarizing it: a failed congregational rabbi works at a small rural college and receives visits from God and those long dead. Has anyone here read it? I'd love to hear what you think. A woman from Temple Israel sent it to me, it was on the reading club's book list. Man, what I would have given to be there that day!

3 Comments:

Blogger Sheryl said...

I haven't read that, but I did real a couple of others - I think on your recommendation. Confessions of the Ugly Stepsister, Wicked, and Son of a witch. I enjoyed them all, although I had a hard time getting into each. I kept expecting something more lighthearted.

I hope we'll get to see you in SoCal before you head east again. We're looking forward to Friday when we'll attend the teacher appreciation and honor your mom. Of course we appreciate hosting and canasta playing every month!sh

May 01, 2007 2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh.. What I would give to read this book! I've only read Lester's
"Lovesong-Becoming a Jew," and that when it first came out. It broke all mind-barriers. From radio-announced anti-semite to committed Jew. What a journey! Lester's probing mind and startling humor reawaken the sleepiest brain-cells and excite the reader into exploring undreamed of streams of thought.
Savta

May 01, 2007 10:19 PM  
Blogger Michal said...

Sheryl, we'll definitely see you! We don't go to Cincy til July 1st. Re books - yeah, they weren't easy reads! I didn't particularly care for Son of a Witch, but the others were good. I just finished Mirror Mirror by him too - intriguing, but not as good, in my opinion.

May 08, 2007 10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home