Sunday, May 06, 2007

Where did the time go?

My apologies, I've been extremely lax about posting. We've been busy, and nothing particularly fascinating has been happening. But I'll record it anyway.

We went down to Arad to see my grandparents this weekend, and swam in the Dead Sea. Floating is fun. Mounds of food is even better.

Judy left today. Bless her for taking one of our bags with her.

We went to the Knesset for the last day of Israel Seminar, and heard a Member of Knesset speak. He's an Orthodox rabbi, but shocked me when he said that he thought that Israel should recognize Reform conversions, because being a Jew and being a citizen are different matters.

It's gotten very warm here, and the cats are melting. They don't even jump up to say hi anymore when we open the door. They just look up from their perch on the cool tile floor, then go back to sleep.

I finally finished all my papers, and took one final this afternoon. I have one Hebrew composition and five tests left. I'm jealous of my classmates - because the way the schedule worked out, most of them are done by Tuesday. I have my last final Thursday morning.

Lag B'Omer, the day of bonfires and the traditional unveiling of the Zohar, the Kabbalistic text, was yesterday. (Thanks Mara). I completely forgot about it - we were so tired we didn't go out to see anything, but stayed in and rented a movie instead. I think we got old somehow when we weren't looking.

Last but not least, Scotland on Friday. I can't wait. I just have to get through finals first.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe you missed Lag B'Omer in Israel! There was a picture that I saw at school on Friday, and it was the coolest thing. It was an aerial picture, and you could literally see the bonfires from the sky! Well, I completely missed out on Lag B'omer festivities as well, but on Friday we had a little carnival, and we got to miss all three Hebrew subjects to go do archery. It isn't such a big thing for us Reform Jews, but for the Orthodox population it's HUGE because they're not allowed to cut their hair, listen to music, or even have birthday/wedding celebrations during the Omer! Anyhow, I'm so mad... I'm gonna be in New York when you come back! E-mail me and tell me how long you're staying! All the best - Hannah

May 06, 2007 6:40 PM  
Blogger Michal said...

I know, for an Orthodox Jew, the Omer is tough! So yeah, I was lame. But my friend Mara went out to a local park and took pictures - click http://community.webshots.com/album/558933341kPFvfj

Are you in NY with the 8th grade Temple Israel trip, or with family? That does suck, I wanted to see you! We'll just have to do lunch instead. I'm here all of June (with one week in Northern CA), but I don't officially move to Ohio til July 1st.

May 07, 2007 8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm there with the 8th grade, and I am SOOO looking forward to it! I'my happy that I'll have a chance to see you - its seems like forever! Also, I heard the coolest story about Lag B'Omer from one of my teachers today! Okay, so every year there are millions of people who gather around Shimon Bar Yochai's grave on Lag B'Omer, and every year there are always kids on the outskirts smoking and having crazy parties. So this year, the Rabbis decided that they wouldn't let the kids have parties over there, and on the night that they all decided to do this Rabbi Shimon Bar Yochai came to all twenty one of them in their dreams and told them "How dare you forbid people to celebrate on MY DAY!" and as you can imagine, they let all the kids come back! Just a cool story I thought I'd share! Anyways, ttyl! -Hannah

May 07, 2007 5:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boo from Chicago! I was just missing Israel earlier this week while on a break from working in NY. I thought of you and Jonathan (and your collection of cats), and I realized how terribly long it has been since we've said hello. So, "Hi!" We miss you and we miss Israel. Per your blog, I'm glad to know how well everything is for you both. Have a great day! : ) Kimberly (& Ari)

May 10, 2007 8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you made it through finals!

May 16, 2007 4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home