Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Cows and cars. Not necessarily in that order.

Aunt Edna and Uncle John live in Placerville, right near where the first gold nuggets were found. The town's oldest architecture is straight from the 18oos, and the town's nickname is "Old Dry Diggin's." They are amazing and gave (flat out gave) us a car to take to Cincinnati, a beautiful Toyota Camry that even has a sunroof. They've also given Savta a run for her money in the "feeding us til we burst" department. We hung out, looked through old photo albums - Jonathan was so *cute* when he was little! - and we went up to Tahoe with them yesterday, about an hour away.

Today we've moved south to the county of Calaveras. Not the town itself, but the county (I learned yesterday that counties are not always made up of various cities, but that people live in a county in the............... SPACE............ between towns). Aunt Lois and Mike live in a mansion four times the size of my mother's house, and they're going to build a house on their property of 24 acres. You can't see the house from the road, just the driveway. Cows and horses are everywhere, and wild deer came onto their property yesterday. Just.... there. Eating. By the side of the road. Deer.

A very confused rooster crowed well before sunrise this morning. But what made Jonathan laugh rather than curse was that in my half-awake state, I mumbled, "wow, a rooster!" I'd never heard one before. I was gratified to find that the movies have gotten it surprisingly right - the crow really *does* sound remarkably like "cock-a-doodle-doo."

City girl, guilty as charged.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! This is Savta, Michal's Israeli grandmother, chiming in. I am totally charmed by Jonathan's AUNT EDNA and UNCLE JOHN. Their generosity is very impressive, but beyond that, I am taken by their powerful expression of support and confidence in our loving young Loving couple. Michal and Jonathan are courageous lovebirds, striking out into unexplored territories to make a difference for good in our world. Having their families' encouragement, support, and blessing is the finest and most valuable gift they could receive.
I'm so happy to be in such good company.
Lots of love,
Savta

June 08, 2007 4:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michal, your comment about the rooster makes all kinds of sense to me. A city girl myself, born and raised in Chicago, I didn't know what kind of trees marshmallows grew on.
yer Savta

June 08, 2007 4:05 AM  
Blogger Michal said...

Savta, this is why I love you. For both of the comments. :)

June 09, 2007 12:55 AM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Yeah, my city girl comes to it honestly. Her mom still wont go outside the house at night in June. Why? Because of the "June" bugs.

I had to bite my tongue 5 times to keep from laughing my butt off when she told me.

I think a snicker still managed to leave my lips however...ooops.

June 11, 2007 9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't get it, Jonathan. Why would you laugh your butt off (or snicker) at someone's fears or discomfitures? June bugs are nasty hard-crusted beasties that swarm and swoop down like dive-bombers. They're called "June" bugs, no matter what their technical designation, because they appear every year during the month of June. Ycccchhhhh!!!!! This isn't a city/country experiential instance.
Some people freak about tiny spiders, some at cockroaches, and some at June bugs. What's funny?

Savta (who cringes at all creepy-crawlies...)

June 13, 2007 4:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Momma Bear!
Love,
Your middle aged cub

June 13, 2007 6:35 AM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Sorry Savta, I sympathize with the critters too much to have sympathy for the human that wonders out into their territory. Think of the poor near sighted june bug… flying around when a big human wonders out into their flight path and SMACK… the poor june bug is dazed and confused, wondering where this big thing came from. I’m sure it’s thinking, “What the hell is this thing? Doesn’t smell like a tree, or a bush; in fact, it smells really funny. It’s kinda like a mammal but why does it swing its limbs around so much and make so much noise?

June 13, 2007 1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

June 13, 2007 2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home